Nicoise Summer Salad
August is a fabulous time for the vegetable garden, we are really getting into peak season. I was inspired to make this Nicoise Salad to make the most of the vegetables that are in the farm share box and of course I cannot make a dressing without using my Epicure spices(recipe adapted from www.Epicure.com)
The Nicoise Salad pictured above is on a bed of mixed greens which is not listed in the recipe but you can add if you have them handy.
1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 ml) Dijon-style mustard
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tbsp (15 ml) Epicure’s Lemon Dilly Dip Mix or use chopped fresh dill
2 Tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
4 new red potatoes, skin on
1 lb (450 g) green beans, trimmed
2 — 6 oz (170 g) cans light tuna, packed in water, drained
4 plum tomatoes, quartered
1/2 small red onion, sliced
2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and quartered
1/4 cup (60 ml) black olives
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. To make dressing, whisk vinegar, mustard, minced garlic, Lemon Dilly Dip Mix and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Set aside.
2. Cook potatoes (either steamed or in a pot of water) for approximately 10–15 minutes, or until just tender. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water. Cool slightly and cut into quarters.
3. In the same pot, cook beans until tender-crisp. Drain and rinse in cold water.
4. Arrange tuna, potatoes, beans, tomatoes, onion, eggs and olives on a serving platter or in individual serving dishes.
5. Drizzle dressing overtop and serve.