Looking for a flavourful soup that will fill your belly? Hearty Kale and Sausage soup will get the job done. It is a fall family favourite and I often have to make a double batch. I use my large stock pot so I can have some left over to pop in the freezer for grab and go meals. Kale is a late season super star and can still be found growing in the garden well into December in my part of the country.
Freezer Meals Made Easy
This soup was adapted from a recipe I found while doing my monthly freezer meal planning. Once A Month Meals is an all in one freezer meal planning website that I subscribe to and adore. Membership has benefits, you can choose from fresh new curated menus every month or design your own. All the work is done for you, from the grocery lists to the prep day instructions and nutritional information. If you want to check it out use my affiliate link and let me know what you think!
Pleasing Paleo Soup
Using coconut milk for added creaminess gives this soup a rich taste but still counts as paleo friendly. I prefer to load the pot with extra veggies and lots of hearty kale , it will cook down and no one will guess just how good it is for them. My other tip is to use a low sodium chicken broth , I like to use Epicure Chicken broth which comes dry and gets added to water, 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of water. Look for the tip at the bottom of the recipe to make this soup a grab and go meal.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 11/2 cups diced Carrots
- 1 cup diced Celery
- 2-3 diced Leeks
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups Chicken Broth/Stock
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 14 oz can of Coconut Milk
- 3 cups chopped Kale
- 2 cups Ground Italian Sausage, removed from casing
- In a large stock pot over medium heat
- Add olive oil, carrots, celery, leeks, garlic and sausage(removed from the casing) and saute togther until sausage is lightly browned and cooked.
- Add chicken stock, Italian seasoning, sea salt, pepper and coconut milk to the stock pot. Increase to medium high heat until it begins to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in kale. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Freeze leftovers in single serving portions for a quick grab and go meal for school lunches or work. Just thaw, heat and eat.